Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Burial At Sea Episode 2



Bioshock DLC has always been worth the money, and everyone who played Minerva's Den must agree that its a serious piece of art. I was excited when I saw that Infinite's last chapter came in two separate 2 gig parts, and as you start to notice just how large of an expanded story this as, you'll get the sense that they poured everything they had into this one. The story unfolds quickly with lots and lots of huge reveals, new areas that remind you of the extremism of Andrew Ryan in case you forgot, and the new plasmids are actually useful for a change.


I always start with the negatives, so first why in the world is there no map? You get thrust into these giant areas, with 5 or 6 different exits, all with interconnected air ducts and secret tunnels. There was a locked room with an audio diary I needed desperately, found the key later on and it took me an hour to re-find. I love this DLC, and I want the map to be the only problem I had with the game, but it simply isn't. There has been absolutely zero Radar Range ammo to find in the entire 4 hours that I have played. You start with 300/0 and that's it, you can't even get it from vending machines. The Radar Range is my favorite gun, it shoots microwaves into enemies until they explode, killing them and damaging those around their exploded body. They introduce new achievements requiring the repeated use of the Radar Range, but no ammo with which to do so. I've easily put 200 tranquilizer darts into splicers' shoulders, but I've only gotten to enjoy my favorite gun a handful of times.


Burial At Sea: Episode 2 has one of the best jump scares that I have ever fallen victim to. It involves Sander Cohen and it is truly frightening. It's cool to see the series pay homage to it's roots, the original Bioshock had some really scary moments, (do you remember the mannequin room? ), and like Resident Evil I thought that maybe it was replacing the horror with more action. 

The story takes a pretty big leap here, revealing that the "constants and variables" apply much more directly than previously thought. Like the little sisters/big daddies being a reflection of Elizabeth/songbird from another dimension, the same rings true for Suchong and Fink, Comstock and Ryan. They aren't similar, they are the same entity. It's not like the game said originally, that "every door has a city, every city has a man", its the SAME city and the SAME man, just in different places in the multiverse. This distinction is not subtle, it changes a lot, and I'm cool with it, I like it, but I just have one major reasoning problem. If Daisy really knew about the Luteces, and talked with them before she got scissored in the back, then she really knowingly died without telling anyone? If Suchong was really aware of Columbia and regularly going back and forth DURING Bioshock 1, then why is this the first we are hearing about it? The man was murdered by the clone in #1, Suchong knew it was coming, I have a very hard time believing that Suchong, Ryan, Fontaine, Daisy Fitzroy, Jeremiah Fink and Comstock all kept that huge of a secret from every other living person in total synchronicity.

I say this out of love, I adore this franchise. It has accomplished the impossible, a first person detective story that asks serious, serious political questions and demands that the player be a grown-up about it. It's fun to play, and somehow, 2K even managed to inject some steampunk in there without making it annoying. This is a DLC that, like the rest of the series, plays different if you're an American. Also, like the rest of the series, a must play.

No comments:

Post a Comment