Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Shadowrun Returns


The original Shadowrun for the Snes belongs in that category of under appreciated games that nobody else on Earth seems to have played. Unlike other obscure-yet-revolutionary games Shadowrun has a sizable enough cult following to launch a successful Kickstarter campaign for a sequel. If you're wondering why you should give a shit, hopefully your eyebrow will raise when you learn that most Shadowrun fans consider the Snes classic to be the first true Mass Effect style RPG. For reals.


Space orcs and Martian goblins might be a common sic-fi trope now, but Shadowrun was the first time I ever saw an Orc in any setting other than medieval fantasy. I always play as a dwarf when I have the option to do so, so giving one a shotgun with computer hacking tech implanteded into the back of his neck was quite the fresh idea for 10-year-old me. I was investigating murders in futuristic versions of American cities, I was leveling up and putting my skill points into attack drones equipped with true AI. The original Shadowrun for the Snes had two very key components that make a legendary game; a fresh idea and perfect execution.


Does that Orcish strip club bouncer look familiar? His name is Mr. Kluwe and he is, you guessed it, based on the actual Chris Kluwe, NFL punter and geek hero. He's a big Shadowrun fan.

I've been playing the sequel on Steam and I'm about 5 hours in, it's really impressive. It feels identical to the original, with amazing HD graphics and deeper customization this time around. I'm in Seattle, trying to find the guy who killed my fellow narcotics smuggling friend, and not just because it's sad, but also because there's a huge cash reward for doing so. The gun fights are WAY more intense this time around, and it almost feels a little like Xcom, the way I position and spend my turns in battle. I think Shadowrun Returns can be found on Steam and other platforms for just 15$ right now, please, please buy it. All gamers deserve to see the good examples of retro RPGs, even the titles that they have never heard of.

No comments:

Post a Comment