Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Games I can't wait to play with my son

Oliver just turned 2 on Sunday, and I can't help but daydream about playing great games with him someday, to share with him all the joy and art appreciation that comes with video game devotion. Here are 5 that I will use to present my case to him..

Wind Waker
Not my favorite Zelda ever, but perfect for a child's introduction into such a lifechanging franchise. The art style is fucking gorgeous and whimsical, accompanied by Koji Kondo's best soundtrack. The only thing that isn't kid friendly about this almost perfect game is the pedophilic Tingle and the fact that Link very adultily stabs Ganondorf through the skull during the final fight. No resurrection, no banishment, a straight up violent murder.

Silent Hill 3
Yes, this game is terrifying, and yes, Heather eats her own fetus, but there are major accomplishments in this game. The best lighting of it's time, a creepy-fantastic score, and in my opinion, the most cerebral and disturbing scare scenes any video game has ever had. Silent Hill 3 is proof that video games can evoke potent emotions out of the player.



Final Fantasy 9
Again, a franchise installment that isn't my favorite, I want Oliver to play FF9 because of it's perfect blending of old and new. Square celebrated what made them great in the first place and innovated many new things to keep pushing them forward. Even if it does have a stupid, random, and frustratingly unknown final boss.




Shadow of the Colossus
Before Shadow of the Colossus, I would spout out all of the items on my made up checklist that made a great game. My naive self would say such republican-minded sentences as, "A great game has to have a great story", or, "You must have a compelling main character,". Shadow of the Colossus has neither of these, and happens to be a masterpiece. It proved to me, that there are no rules, great games are great games.

Katamari Damacy
Enough seriousness, this game is fun, and an 8 hour acid trip. Watch the opening scene and tell me you aren't burning to play it's randomness. I can't wait to roll up people and skyscrapers with Oliver.



4 comments:

  1. I hope he wants to play those games by the time he's old enough...our lil babes is 2!!! OMG, someone should invent a baby xbox, that's a market to be tapped into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do...its called the WiiU, OH SNAP

      Delete
    2. hahahaha love the WiiU comeback, but seriously, how can you leave out Sonic and Knuckles and Super Mario Bros. Both are perfect two player games that are perfect for all generations.

      Delete
    3. Well, I want video games that really aid my "video games are art" argument, that are still a blast to play, and there are many more than what I listed. Mario Bros is historically important yes, but have been improved upon. And Knuckles is a fraud, a lie, a joke, and will never be in my house. Ever.

      Delete