Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Games I Never Beat: Sonic CD

So, even amidst all the chaos of new games, I always try to re-visit and conquer games that have conquered me before. When games sit on my shelf unbeaten, it always bugs me. So, here's my first attempt at punching an old enemy right in the mouth, Sonic CD.

Is that...an angel? Wtf?
I never beat this game when I was little simply because I didn't have a whole lot of exposure to it. Sega CD's were scarce, and I personally had a Saturn, and this game almost passed me by. Luckily, I got to play it a couple times at a friend's house, and I remember it the way most Sonic fans do, as the best installment in the series. So, now Xbox Live has released it, giving me a chance to have a little nostalgia.

One of my huge gripes about the Sonic franchise on a whole, is that they force precision jumps in a game thats all about blurspeed. Sonic CD doesn't have a lot of these moments, (except for Wacky Workbench, hate those levels), instead ramping up the difficulty of the boss fights to achieve some balance.

And fuck are a few of those fights tough. The Quartz Quadrant alone is probably the most frustrating Sonic boss I've ever faced, (although the new Sonic 4 final boss is a close 2nd), and The Wacky Workbench platform jumping spree boss took me 15 tries. Be prepared to try several ideas and many different approaches to each boss before figuring them out.




All that aside, I beat the fucker, and now I'm going to go back for some extra achievements, I had such a nice retro experience with this rare Sonic game. Its sad, because this really was the last Hedgehog game before all the new characters took the series over and made it boring. If you have a chance, go find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment