Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Lots of DLC to play


I finally conquered the overwhelming stack of 2013 games that had been mocking me for months. Assassin's Creed 4, Dead Space 3, Zelda, Sleeping Dogs, I plowed through those in a just a couple months, and now that I can poke my head out and look towards the horizon, all I see is DLC. A bunch of games that I have fallen madly in love with have big expansions that are coming out soon, or have already come out and I haven't gotten around to them yet. So here is my game list for the next couple of months, and it's all downloadable content.



State of Decay released their first big expansion, called Breakdown, a couple months ago, and I've been itching to play it. State of Decay is a zombie sandbox built for those of us who appreciate the art of z-stories. Survival planning is SoD's specialty, and a quick death awaits all of you who are stupid-jock enough to pick up a bat and just wade into the middle of a group of undead. The expansion adds a new storyline, adjustable difficulty, (you can only adjust it up) and also turns the game into a true sandbox where the game can in theory play forever.


The Last of US has a big piece of DLC coming out on Valentine's Day, called Left Behind. It's a prequel, following the early part of Ellie's story. There isn't much being told about the new stuff, but Ellie's friend is named Riley who was a main character in one of the comics. If this DLC has anything whatsoever in common with the original game, then I will buy this the second that I can.


Bioshock Infinite's first chapter of the Burial at Sea DLC had an insane plot twist, and the chapter 2 trailer has me very excited about what's to come. We are back in Rapture, but with characters from Columbia, with body switching and the old crazy Zander Cohen as the big villain. Also, they are going to let me keep my new microwave gun for all of the DLC chapters! It's not coming out until late March though.


My favorite RTS of all time, Xcom released an enormous 30$ DLC package called Enemy Within, a couple months ago. The new fancy stuff looks great and all, but what Im really excited about is just the addition of new maps and new enemies. Xcom is wonderful already, so just giving me a bunch of new toys and aliens to play around with is all an expansion needs. This is the DLC I'm most excited about, and I think I'm going to get to it last, so that I can really take my time and enjoy it.


The new Walking Dead season is pretty good so far, and I think the next episode will determine exactly how good it's going to be. Playing as just Clementine is a drastic change, but the gameplay is sound and the story is interesting. Clem has become a hardcore zombie killer, and it'll be fun to play as she grows up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment