Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Xbox #5 is dead




This is a picture of my Xbox 360. It's actually the fifth Xbox 360 that I have owned, and just like the previous four, it broke. The first 360 that I had red ringed after just a couple months, inconveniently right in the middle of my first Elder Scrolls experience. I sent it back and received a new console free of charge a month later. Frustrating, but not the end of the world. My second 360 red ringed a year later, and I learned that it fell victim to the plastic heat sink debacle, a stupid problem caused by Microsoft's insistence that plastic parts be used instead of metal ones. My third Xbox 360 suffered from the same problem, and I tried the towel trick, voiding my warranty and just prolonging the inevitable. That one was my bad, and I ponied up the cash the buy a brand new 360, the fourth unit to grace my living room with it's presence. The fourth Xbox lasted almost two years, before red ringing. I sent it to Microsoft, and they just sent me a totally new 360, without explaining the problem with the previous console. My fifth 360 lasted a very long time, almost three years, but it died yesterday. The disc tray won't open, and after some research I found out that the problem lies with the black plastic gear that opens the tray itself. This plastic gear heats up, and leaves behind a black residue on the disc tray. Over time, this goo coagulates and builds up, requiring you to open your entire system and clear it manually. Easy fix right? Just ship it to Microsoft and they'll fix it as long as you have a warranty. However, Microsoft is no longer replacing Xbox 360 units free of charge. 


This is my NES. This is the exact same unit that sat in my bedroom as a six-year-old. My NES finally kicked the bucket a couple weeks ago after twenty-six years of operation. Never replaced, never refurbished. My question is this: Why does a machine built in 1987 work for twenty-six years when the modern console generation needs constant repair/replacement? I took great care of my 360(s), I have never dropped, bumped into, spilled Mountain Dew on top of, or even breathed on any of my Xboxs. I understand that the tech inside of these two machines are radically different. The NES's job was basically just to recognize controller button presses and put the cart's picture on the screen. The 360 is galactically more complex, surfing the internet, using lasers to read encrypted disc information, I understand that. 

My simple point is that perhaps, just perhaps, WE MASTER THE ART OF METAL PIECES INSTEAD OF PLASTIC PIECES IN A MACHINE THAT HAS A SUPER FAST HEAT GENERATING FAN BEFORE WE START MOVING TO THE NEXT STEP. The little parts inside of Xbox 360s literally melt, literally. They used plastic instead of metal to save money, and then shafted every 360 owner as soon as the Xbox One was released. This is why the PS4 will be receiving my money, and not Microsoft from this point forward. Not because of plastic parts, (I understand they didn't do that for the new-gen) but because the ethics that I'm looking for in a corporation taking hundreds of my dollars simply aren't there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment