Monday, February 24, 2014

My Favorite Video Game Beards

I think the title is pretty self-explanatory, on with the list!



Valus

Shadow of the Colossus has the best example of an old Dutch beard that I have seen in a video game. Valus's beard is long and shaggy, tangling with his robust chest hair because of his hunched back. The main reason that Valus catapulted onto this list is that unlike every other game beard, Valus's is climbable. 



Basch

Final Fantasy 12's strong point is the complex political story it tells, and it's weak point is Basch. When this cliche-plagued knight with a Japanese teenager's attitude first appears in the game, he is sporting a perfect dirty golden beard that only a medieval dungeon occupant can grow. I liked him at first, until he shaves his face and starts saying stuff like, "I failed to protect my country, what is shame to me?" The initial beard was super sweet though. 





The Merlin advisor from Civ

As you advance in CivRev, your advisors change their appearance to suit the current age. When you enter the medieval age, one of your advisors appears in a Merlin suit with a gorgeous Gandalf beard. You can tell that the developers took extra time to get the beard physics correct because it sways back and forth with his animated movements.




Cid from FF4

Cid's beard is great because it embraces chaos. The hair grows wild in every direction, but oddly, the 360 degree area around his mouth is shaved down and obviously waxed bare.



Oghren

Instead of filling this list exclusively with dwarves, (I really, really wanted too) I just picked the best game-dwarf-beard to represent the rest. Oghren from Dragon Age sports a rarely used classic double war braid with blood red hair. I also really like it when dwarves keep their scalp hair cut short, demanding that the beard receive every ounce of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment