Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Last Of Us: Left Behind Review


Left Behind is the first DLC released for The Last of Us, and it shows us what Ellie was up to when Joel was recovering from his pipe-impalement, and it also tells us a little bit about who Ellie was before she met Joel. When the game is in the present, you'll run around collecting medical supplies for wounded Joel, killing humans and clickers, but you'll also be living through flashbacks of Ellie exploring a mall with her old friend Riley. A majority of the action takes place in the present, with Ellie alone searching for supplies, but despite the shootouts, Left Behind feels quiet, a slower, more peaceful post-apocalyptic experience than what The Last of Us generally offered.

The flashbacks are the best part about this DLC, as the player you really feel like you're a part of one of the happier memories that Ellie possesses. The mall adventure is one of the few times that Ellie has ever experienced being a teenager, and it's fun to play through it. Powering up an old carousel, having a windshield breaking contest, and digging through an old Halloween shop are fun because Ellie is having fun. You get to relax a little, and breathe while learning just a little more about the girl that I felt such a father/daughter connection to back when I was controlling Joel.

It's hard to talk about Left Behind without spoiling things, but I'll finish by simply applauding Naughty Dog for making such a quality side story that I wasn't sure I even wanted. If you asked me a couple weeks ago what sort of DLC I would like, I would have answered, "anything with Joel", but Left Behind is wonderful, and when it comes to which character is the most interesting, I stand corrected.



No comments:

Post a Comment