Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Nocturnal Insanity

I can hear the faucet dripping from my nest on the couch. I stumble into the kitchen, it's 3am, and there isn't a drip after all. I can't sleep. I haven't slept. 

Delirious. The baby must be fed, she demands it. I pour the nursery water, I blink hard trying to force reality to remain. Every light has a tracer.

Legally I'm sober, but mentally I am impaired. Sleep deprivation is a form of torture in some countries, I am positive that I just saw a moving shadow. 

She drinks the bottle and settles in for another 45 minutes of uninterrupted sleep. I cannot however, the cells in my brain fried from using every available protein to maintain a state of alertness.

Sometimes fatherhood is grand, slaying the mighty rent dragon or purchasing new equipment/toys for your party/kids. And sometimes.....it's lord of the flies.


Smaug.

No comments:

Post a Comment