Monday, July 7, 2014

Watch Dogs Has A Couple Problems


I have not finished Watch Dogs yet so this isn't a review, but I want to point out a couple things that are infuriating me. Watch Dogs is a great GTA-style sandbox, but it certainly has issues that make me want snap my controller in half. There's nothing worse than getting invested in a story only to get stuck on a mission due to a programming error and have to rinse and repeat dozens of times. Here are some examples.


You can't move dead bodies. Watch Dogs has stealth sections that encourage and reward those who can complete it without being detected. However, there are also guards who must be eliminated as there is no path around them, and when you drop one, another will find his body and go on full alert. It makes no sense, and seeing how we have been able to move bodies in video games ever since MGS2, there's really no excuse for it.

Waypoints are unreasonably small. You get these contracts, where you must take a valuable car from point A to point B while taking as little damage as possible and before time expires. I made it to my destination with only a couple seconds to spare only to realize that the spot I must come to a complete stop on is the size of a dime. Even though I did what was asked of me, I reached the destination in the time given, I had to do it over, because my back left tire wasn't exactly where the needle-thin waypoint was. Bullshit.


I'm from Chicago, I consider it my home, and that was the biggest selling point for me when Watch Dogs was announced. I've played sandboxes in every city but Chicago, and it's nice that my city finally gets some video game recognition. Only, Watch Dogs's Chicago isn't accurate enough to be immersive. Sure, the cops have the Chi-town accent, the L tracks make me homesick and I got to have a shootout in the lobby of the Willis Tower, but the Mad Mile? What the fuck is the Mad Mile? Is there some legal reason that you can't call it the Magnificent Mile in video games? The Loop kinda looks right, and I guess there is a neighborhood that sorta resembles Pilsen, but all of the street names are wrong, the train stops are incorrect, and downtown Chicago is completely gone. But hey! They got the bean just right!

No comments:

Post a Comment