Monday, August 18, 2014

Final Fantasy 2's Mysidia Tower Is No Joke


I have been slacking a lot on my big Final Fantasy project. I'm still only on FF2, and since I'm eager to move onto the next adventure I tried to make some progress today. I then proceeded to hit the enormous brick wall that is the Mysidia Tower. It's a late game dungeon with ten floors that each take about 15-20 minutes to get through. This is the pivotal moment in FF2 when the game's tiny annoyances become serious problems. As you climb the tower, there are no save points whatsoever, but there are 4 bosses. There are no Super-Ethers or Turbo Ethers in this Final Fantasy, just regular old 30mp restoring ethers that don't stack and quickly fill your 50 item max inventory. You must overload on ethers if you want to survive the Mysidia Tower gauntlet, but the random enemies inside hit you with status ailments that no spell can cure. This means you must take up valuable Ether space in your inventory and replace them with some Gold Needles and anything that can fix Muddle. 


It doesn't help that the game killed off one of your party members in the last dungeon, replacing her with an under leveled Dragoon who is at best a 1/4 as effective as the rest of your team. The first boss is a Fire Gigas, easily beaten and very weak. The next guy is the Ice Gigas, with double the first guy's HP, but with an obvious weakness. The third boss, the Thunder Gigas, is exponentially tougher. His physical attacks can one shot anybody, and he gave me my first game over screen. I came back immediately and tried again, completing the tower with the second attempt. 


Mindu dies!


No comments:

Post a Comment