Friday, August 1, 2014

So Close


I got my first Xbox 360 in 2005, and now, 9 years later I am about to hit 50,000 gamerscore. My opinion on whether or not achievements are a positive thing has certainly fluctuated over the past decade, but I have recently decided that I like them. A lot. When you spend a decade with a system, racking up tens of thousands of points, achievements act as a diary. I thumbed through my achievements this morning, seeing the first acquisitions, such as Crackdown's kill every gang boss cheevo, or that impossible Transmissionary achievement in Dead Rising that i never had the patience to acquire. I got every achievement in Bioshock, and Skyrim. I'm missing just a single cheevo from Fallout 3, reach level 10 with neutral alignment, a feat simple to complete but boring to sit through. In 2005 I was fresh out of high school. 9 years later I live in a different state deep in a 6 year relationship with Stephanie. I have 2 kids now. When I look back at all those games, I can picture what was going on in my life around me at the time I was playing them. I was stoned in my dirty bachelor apartment with my alcoholic roommate when I played Bayonetta. I was alone in my first apartment ever, eating beef ramen in the dark when I played Alan Wake. I was rocking Oliver in his basinet with one foot while I played Deus Ex. 

I'm about to hit 50,000 gamerscore, and I'm pretty sure my new obsession, Risen 2 is going to be the game that does it. This is more than just a number, it's the perfect ending to the most important 10 years of my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment