Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Election Day Celebration: Random Political Games!

I love taking pictures of my stuff.
So, Obama got elected last night, and I've been celebrating all morning. However, instead of me posting about how I am so excited that we are getting four more years of compassion, patience, and sympathy the nobel prize winning captain of peace Obama is going to give us, I decided to go vanilla and non-threatening with a mention of a few of my favorite political/patriotic games. In reverse order of course. Fuck you Nixon!

5. Red Faction Guerilla

My boy Mason goes to Mars, only to have his brother murdered by a genocidic, slave trafficking, concentration camp runnin Mars rock mining company. It seems a little Soviet at some points, but overall a nice poor murdering the rich story. Fuck the corporations!

4. Streets of Rage

The text that scrolls as the game starts: "As the chaos continued at full strength, three young police officers tried to establish a special attack unit. They were repeatedly turned down by their superiors, most of whom had been bought by the organization or were too afraid to make a stand. One day, when they could no longer stand by and watch their city being demolished, they quit the force!'
"Adam Hunter, Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding decided to forgo their careers in legal law enforcement and put their lives on the line. They are without weapons, but each possesses great hand-to-hand combat abilities. Take them into the heart of the city and battle the most dangerous wave of bad dudes and chicks ever assembled. Make the city a place where people no longer have to walk the Streets of Rage!" Fuck you crime!

3. Final Fantasy 12

Unlike most of my fellow nerdies, I loved FF12. Truly the last good Final Fantasy, 12 pulled the persepective back and told a rich, engagin political narrative where you truly felt a sense of accomplishment when your team actually ends up changing things. Fuck you England!





2. Suikoden 3

Easily in my top 5 RPG's, Suikoden 3 is probably one of the best political dramas you could ever experience. Beautifully told, extremely well written, and just silly enough to get through all the child death, it's a masterpiece. Fuck you God!
1. Bioshock

The best example of why video games are art, and in my opinion, the game that truly started the next gen for gaming, Bioshock was one hell of a politcally charged story. And with Infinite coming out with a world based on American Capitalism, it's only going to get better. Fuck you dad!

Yay four more for Obama, and yay for political video games. Some may notice that a favorite series of mine, Metal Gear didn't make the list, but I have my own personal, depressing reasons and I ask that you respect them. 

6 comments:

  1. I would say that both Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age II both had massive political undertones and should be on this list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the Dragon Age games being very heavy on the politics, as well as the Metal Gear games that Tyler mentioned.

      I would also add in the Mass Effect games because of their dealings with racism and genocide themes, and Half-Life 2 for the militarized enslavement of the human race.

      Delete
    2. Half Life was another great one, it made you hate jocks even more.

      Delete
    3. Mass Effect series is a good one

      Delete
  2. Absolutely, it was a very close 7th

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, your favorite part of FFXII was the crappy story? I liked the bunny ears, myself.

    ReplyDelete