Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Review: Sakura Samurai


I've been very happy with my 3ds so far, and I have been trying to stockpile some games from the Virtual Console onto the system. I downloaded the original Zelda and replayed it again for some nostalgic giggles, but sometimes you get sick of retro shit and just want something new. So, at 7.99$, Sakura Samurai looked interesting and original, so I bought it on a whim without reading anything about it.

What I got was a wonderfully unique tactical swordfighter that really mimics the animes that got me interested in the entire samurai thing to begin with. Every fight is slow, with pattern memorization and precise striking required to dispatch your enemies. Every opponent can kill you quickly, so instead of absent-minded button mashing you have to focus, waiting to counter after a perfect block. Learning patterns, precision blocks and strikes, it takes a lot of skill to get good at this game.

Needless to say, I die a lot, and the game makes up for this by showering you with cash. Here's how it works; Whenever you die, your Kappa master appears on screen and points to a level that you have already completed. If you re-visit this level, you will find that every enemy now drops 5x the gold that they would normally give up. The sword upgrades and health items are extremely expensive in each new town that you go to, making frequent deaths actually A SMART FUCKING STRATEGY. Isn't that dumb?




Other than that small gripe, I really love this game. It looks good in 3d, (don't let my poopy screenshots fool you), and Sakura Samurai really is unique, a smart fighter with some incredibly challenging boss battles and a mini game system that is both relaxing, and massively rewarding. It's worth every penny of it's small price tag. What a great find.

No comments:

Post a Comment