Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Syria


I approach this growing question from a couple of different angles. I think about the human rights that have been violated, I think about exactly why we should go to war, and the reasons that we have gone to war in the past. No matter how many different perspectives I have, they all end up with the same answer at the end of lane, we really shouldn't go to Syria.

My first reaction was shock and horror in the viewing of the human rights violations. Regardless of who you agree with, the use of these chemical weapons is an established fact now, it did happen, and they were used by a government to suppress it's own people. Yes, someone should stop Assad and hold him accountable for his crimes. It just can't be us. We are war weary as a nation, and we are coming off of a war that most of us see as unnecessary. We are coming off of a war that we as a people were deliberately lied to about. I believe we are at a stage of human civilization that requires a global consensus before war can be waged. Perhaps the UN is too scared too mount any sort of offensive, but that is our global government, and they said no. Other avenues need to be explored now.

 I also look at this as a skeptic. I believe (like every comic book fan does) that we have a responsibility as the most powerful nation on the planet Earth to protect those who can't protect themselves. We enter many an armed conflict with our leaders spouting some version of what I just said, but I'm not naive enough to believe that we always have the most altruistic of intentions. If we really protect the defenseless, why didn't we intervene in Darfur? Or Rwanda? How about the Armenian genocide, or the endless Israel/Palestine conflict? What about Tibet, or Juarez Mexico? (That last one is just two measly miles from our own border). Those countries and locations have nothing to offer us in return, so their catastrophes went on unhindered. We don't protect democracy or human rights, we help you so that you can help us. Be it oil or a new USA-sympathetic leader that gets installed, America only enters that which will make it stronger. That, I do not support.

Really quick, before I wrap this up, I just want to say something about the huge wave of criticism that Obama is receiving over this. I don't understand why. There should be no embarrassment in the democratic process. A dictator killed his own people, women and children, by the hundreds, with nerve gas. Obama goes to congress and asks for permission to go to war. They say no, so we aren't going. That's how the process works. Now, if we aren't going to war, what are Obama's options? He certainly can't ignore the situation, instead, he is forcing the global and American community to have a debate about this. We are all talking, we are all paying attention, and Obama is the reason.

Peace out, and tomorrow, video games, I promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment