Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Burial At Sea Review


I finished the first episode of the Bioshock Infinite DLC last night, and even though it was rather short, the story was really really good. Bioshock 2 had, in my opinion, the greatest DLC I've ever downloaded with Minerva's Den, so I had high hopes for Burial at Sea. It was interesting to see how people lived in Rapture, even if it was right before the entire city was destroyed. You also get to fight a Big Daddy, use a new microwave gun, and enjoy a signature Bioshock plot twist.


Rapture had always been kind of a tease. When the original Bioshock begins, the city is already crumbling, with rabid splicers and monsters running around. I always wanted to see how the day to day Rapture was, when it's citizens weren't stabbing each other and hunting little girls to eat their guts. In Burial at Sea, you get to walk around Rapture, listening to average people discuss the minutia of their underwater lives, it's a libertarian paradise. It may sound like a minor thing to experience, but I'm really happy that this DLC gave me what I have been wanting since the very first game, a peek into the madness beforehand.


This new gun is called the Radar Range, and it is super fucking sweet. It cooks your enemy from the inside, causing them to explode, damaging other nearby enemies and covering the room with hot gore. It's got lots of ammo, and kills quick, with the only downside being that you can't loot the bodies of those you've exploded. I love that they added a new weapon that isn't just another scope with bullets. Just don't use it during the Big Daddy fight, it's a waste of time.


You also get the return of my favorite mini boss from Bioshock. Sander Cohen, the eccentric artist is back with another one of his masterpieces. In this DLC, he has a couple dance while he paints them, electrocuting them to death as soon as they make a mistake. He's behind the missing girl that Booker is trying to find. The ending of episode 1 is quite the plot twist, and while I certainly didn't see it coming, this time it was a bit of a head scratcher. I guess that's why there is an episode 2, but I am left feeling a little confused.


Best part about the new DLC!? EL AMMO BANDITO IS BACK! I was in the middle of a huge fight, my shield gone, my back against the wall, out of eve, with just a couple bullets left in my handcannon. Then I hear behind me, that beautiful melodic voice, "me llamo el ammo bandito!" I was saved, and I really, really missed those vending machines. The Circus of Value is still around too, happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment