Saturday, June 14, 2014

Hey Team, Shut The Fuck Up


Why is it that every time I make a decision in Dragon Age 2 one of my party members has to chime in with their personal take on the move I just made? In Mass Effect, Shep was rarely questioned, and if a party member disagreed, it was understood that there was no reversing the choice. Shep was commander, completely in charge, and it was wonderful. However, in Kirkwall, my FemHawke has to constantly deal with background noise from the melancholy divas in her party. Your mages chastise you for agreeing with any templars about any topic. Aveline doesn't like it when you make a little coin on the side through illegal means, regardless of how harmless, and you will hear about it. Often. If you try to play with honesty and virtue to appease your mages and Aveline, then Varric will sound in with his disapproval. You can't win.

In Mass Effect, I put pistols to police officers' heads on the daily, and my team knew to shut the fuck up about it. What these simpletons in Dragon Age need to realize is that just because I say something, doesn't necessarily mean that its true. Yes, Anders, I did just tell the Chantry priest that I think all mages should be imprisoned forever, but thats a lie to further our goals. We operate in a dangerous city overrun with corruption and thieves, and I feel no moral guilt for lying to bad people in order to make some cash or complete a mission. I'm not murdering elven babies here, I'm having discussions with strangers on the streets of Kirkwall, and lying to some of them so that they will give me what I want. I just wish my party would shut the fuck up while I work my grift, and here's a concept; if these issues are too controversial for you to sit quietly through, feel free to pack your shit and go. 


No comments:

Post a Comment