Friday, January 4, 2013

Backpack Rap

I was asked to do a rap post, so I agreed to write one, but I am only talking about nerd rap specifically, because most of the hip hop that I listen to is conscious, thus political, and that isn't why I started this blog. Republicans are asshats. Let's go!



The Cool Kids
My city's very own, The Cool Kids are a great duo re-capturing what was great about the 1990's. Their songs are nostalgic, playing Sega and throwing big fucking house parties. Most of their songs are sprinkled with nerdy references, and Mikey Rocks is one of the most unusual and interesting lyricists that I've ever heard.

Nerdiest Song: A Little Bit Cooler



Childish Gambino
Similar to the Cool Kids with the nostalgic 90's vibe, but what is unique about Donald Glover's lyrics is that they can be abruptly shocking, making his songs very unpredictable and exciting. I'm anxious to see where his rap career goes, because when you have incredible talent, mixing in a little experience is always a positive thing. Also, I love anyone who is passionate about their ninja turtles villians.

Nerdiest Song: Backpackers

Lupe Fiasco
Another Chicagoan, Lupe Fiasco is, in my humble opinion, the greatest poet and most important modern voice in society today. His recent work doesn't have much geek speak, but early in his career his lyrics were absolutely dripping with mentions of Kwame from Captian Planet, Ken, Ryu, Slimer and Winston from Ghostbusters, japanese manga, and Revenge of the Nerds for example. I love him more now for his political and economical commentary, but what started my obsession with Lupe originally, was his nerdiness.

Nerdiest Song: Gold Watch

MC Chris
MC Chris is truly one of us. I came across him first as the voice of MC Peepants on the show Aqua Team Hunger Force, and I proceeded to download his music. Don't let the stout white body and high pitched voice  turn you off, MC Chris is amazing. He has done 4 songs about Star Wars bounty hunters, an ode to Neville Longbottom, and has a song called Kingdom Farts, where he explains how great he is at FPS. He is the nerd rap king, and he creates album after album of pure geek bliss. Plus, and Im sure you guessed it, he's from Chicago.

Nerdiest Song: All of them, but listen to Fett's Vette, Nrrd Grrl, or Illy Oil to get the jist.







2 comments: