Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Turns out Dawnguard only kinda sucks



So I wanted to go back and purchase all of the Skyrim DLC that I didn't get to the first time around, and when I started Dawnguard, I immediately thought, "This is a waste of time." I can comfortably say now that I have sunk about 6 hours into it, that it isn't a super waste of time or anything, just kinda boring. They are introducing an interesting plot, so I'll stick with it just to see what happens, (and it cost 15$).


The big gimmick of this DLC is that you get to play as this guy, the Vampire Lord, by choosing to side with Harkon and his Vampire court. You transform into him at will, using his claws and magic to rip apart enemies, and even has it's own skill tree. Thats cool and all, but there were at least 15 times that I couldn't get through a doorway while I was transformed, and you can't pick up items as the Super Vamp. It's a shallow addition, and the fact that I already can't stand any type of vampires just makes me impatient.


The unforgivable crime committed by Bethesda with this DLC is the sprawling new Soul Cairn area. It's a vast desert with wandering souls and a cool horse you can quest to own. The place reminds me of the Fade in Dragon Age, which isn't a good thing. I've been fetch questing in the Cairn for hours now, and an hour of that was lost wandering.


So, it's gimmicky, but the story is grand, so Dawnguard isn't all bad, I just miss Bethesda's magnificent Fallout 3 dlc's I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment