Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Winner Is......

Mass Effect 3

So, it really came down to two games that I was considering for Game of the Year, Xcom, and ME3. Xcom is almost a perfect game, but towards the end, it really, really drags, requiring commitment and patience to complete. Mass Effect 3 has problems though, but it is still one hell of an accomplishment. Here's my justification for choosing ME3 as GOTY despite it's flaws.


Yes, the original ending for Mass Effect 3 sucked, and all of us Shep fans felt cheated out of the 100+ hour payoff we had all worked so hard for, but let us all remember, Bioware did attempt to fix it. Even if you still aren't happy with the revised ending, it is pretty cool that a game company listened to it's fans, and edited the ending after the game's release in the form of a downloadable extended finale. I think that shows just how enormous Mass Effect has become, this was the endcap to a life-changing trilogy, that cemented probably the best written RPG series ever into the history books. I love Mass Effect, and I love 3.


When I think of all of the long running franchises that I have become obsessed with, none of them gave me the sense of accomplishment and reward in their third installment like ME3 did. Metal Gear Solid 3 offered zero closure, in fact, it just introduced a confusing prequel. Resident Evil 3 (which I fucking love), simply showed a different point of view to the previous game. My point is that usually when a series reaches it's 3rd installment, you see backpeddling, or radical changes, but in Mass Effect, you pick up where you left off, facing the direct consequences of your choices in the game previous. Never before has a game attempted this, making #3 groundbreaking.


I cured the genophage, and I ended the Quarian-Geth war, giving the Geth their independence and the Quarians their homeworld back. I exposed the Asari's religion as lie (god bless atheism, even in space), and the Rachni are building the civilization they deserve. Humanity now has multiple Spectres, and a serious presence on the council. Cerberus has been dismantled, and the Illusive Man shot himself in the head. And of course, I destroyed those Reaper motherfuckers to end the life eradication cycle. Your achievements feels monumental this time around, and they even had a great multiplayer mode for once!


So Mass Effect 3 is my choice for 2012 Goty, and I hope that Bioware continues to produce games based on the Mass Effect universe, and if you do, please, please, let me play Wrex's son. 



3 comments:

  1. Nice choice, I love Mass Effect 3. If I followed your rule of not choosing a remake/port for goty I would have chosen Mass Effect 3, however, it is my #2 goty.

    My top 5 list of 2012 is:
    #1 - Persona 4 Golden
    #2 - Mass Effect 3
    #3 - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
    #4 - The Walking Dead
    #5 - Assassin's Creed 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Pe4 Golden really add so much new stuff?

      Delete
  2. Not really, there are 2 new social links, 1 with a new character that is related to the true ending and another with Adachi. Also there is a shorter alternate ending where you can side with the killer.

    I just love the game and think that it got overlooked in 2008 with all the next gen games that came out like Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV.

    Not that Mass Effect 3 is bad, even though I initially had a negative reaction to the end and hated it so much. I can't think of anything I didn't like about Persona 4.

    ReplyDelete