Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Dad Talk: Letting Your Children Choose For Themselves

This was just for a photo, not trying to influence Oliver's sports bias at all, I swear!

When I was growing up, I was told what religion I was. I was told what sports teams were my favorite, what car companies I would be exclusively purchasing from, what foods were normal, and I was certainly assaulted with my family's opinion on which politicians were worth voting for. I rebelled and rejected my red religious family's bullshit and dangerous outlook on life, but that was eventually, most of my childhood was spent wasting time on what had been decided for me, and not by me. One of the first silent pledges I made when I became a father just two and a half years ago was that I would never influence Oliver's decision making, (of course if it's life threatening or just plain dangerous), and I would let him decide what he thinks and what he likes.



 This is easier said than done when it comes to nerd parents. I love DC Comics, and I rejected Marvel a long time ago. Oliver is currently curious about Marvel, asking me questions about Spiderman instead of Superman, he thinks Magneto is cooler than the Joker. I try to hide the knife sticking out of my heart, while I answer his questions. Nerds and geeks are the most loving people on the planet, and thats why we can get a little "like this and not that, trust me" when it comes to our kids. It's because when I think about Star Trek, I think of just how much joy it has brought me, and I think about what Pokemon was like the first time I beat it, I just want that joy and elation in Oliver's life too. 


There is hope my fellow nerd parents, remember, you can be a nerd about anything whatsoever. As long as you obsess, learn, and pour your heart into something, whatever it is, you can be nerdy about it. The great Will Wheaton said "Being a nerd isn't about what you love, it's about how you love it." So I'm going to step back, and let Oliver pick what interests him. Worst case scenario, he becomes a catholic UFC/Tapout fan, but even if that happens, I am going to be right beside him, helping him nerdily obsess over whatever he happens to devote his life too. Remember those kids from Jesus Camp? Yeah, let's not do that to our babies.



This is a video of Will Wheaton from Star Trek, explain to an unborn fan's daughter about just why it's so awesome to be a nerd. Absolutely relevant to this post, and one of the best messages ever. 

3 comments:

  1. We're all geeks. I'm trying to reclaim that word, because a geek is just someone who carries the enthusiasm of childhood into adult life. -- Simon Pegg.

    ReplyDelete