Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Xbox One: Are you fucking kidding?


I don't own a ps3, during the last console launch, I picked a side. I picked Microsoft, because I really liked Xbox Live, Dead Rising had blown my mind, and I thought the 10$ a month wasn't the end of the world. In fact, the games ended up being so good, (that year was Bioshock, Oblivion, Gears of War and Prey) that I forgave them after 3 red rings of death. 3!!!! On top of that, the 3rd new Xbox 360 that I had to replace came out of my own pocket, because I had done the stupid towel trick and broke my warranty. My fault but still, it shouldn't have malfunctioned in the first place, who installs a plastic fucking heat chip anyway? It's designed to heat up, did it ever occur to the most advanced company in the world that plastic melts? Especially when it's installed on top of the part that produces the most heat? 

Look closely my fellow libs, any idea why Microsoft employees would be watching The 700 Club? 
 It wasn't just the constant red rings, my gamertag was lost once, along with all gamerscore and download history with it. I've turned auto-renewal on my gold membership and been charged 3 more months anyways, it's been a love hate relationship. Despite all of that nonsense, I've been pretty happy with my 360, the games simply made up for everything else. Yeah, I missed out on Resistance, and Uncharted 3, but for the most part, I've never really felt that I was missing anything.


That's why this Xbox One reveal is so disturbing. 

- All games will have a key that is registered to the user profile

-Games will be forced to install to the hard drive and don't need the disc afterwards

-Any other profile, even those on the same console try to play the game, then they must purchase a liscense key (it's the full price of the game)

-The console must connect to the internet once every 24 hours or it won't fucking let you in

-Games will not be backwards compatible

6) No expandable Hard drive and games are installed onto the hard drive from the disc. Meaning, along with storing films and music you will run out room very quickly.

7) Kinect device HAS to be connected for console to play

8) Kinect device always on (whether console powered up or not) so ALWAYS LISTENING

9) Still no absolute clarity on buying 2nd hand games - seems there will be 'nominal' fee to pay MIcrosoft if you want to, no work on how much this is.


Are you out of your minds? All of this just to crush the used game market? It seems that you're fucking over your customers to make some more money. I don't buy used games, I like to support the developer, but I am certainly not in favor of forcing everyone to emulate me. So when I bought Bioshock Infinite and let Steph play it on her gamertag you had a problem with that? Because if I want us both to enjoy a new game on the Xbox One it's going to cost me 120$.  Is this really what Microsoft is going to do?

This video sums the reveal up perfectly


If Sony goes the opposite route, or at the very least doesn't fuck their customers over like this during the ps4 launch, then I will absolutely jump ship. I love Xbox games, and yes I will feel like Im missing out, but my integrity means more to me than your 6-month AAA exclusives. Nintendo is quite happy with their decision to forget the hardcore and focus on the casual, and now you seem to be shifting your attention to the sports/call of duty jocks. I can't believe Im saying this but, help me Sony, you're my only hope.



4 comments:

  1. Yeah, it doesn't seem to make much sense. Apparently, you may be able to play a game using multiple profiles on the same console using some kind of family account settings, but their methods of DRM go too far.

    What's the point of having the games on Blu-ray discs if once the game is installed, it is useless. Why even have discs at all if you need to be connected online to even use the game.

    The system basically appears to be a download-only model, expect that having the discs means you don't have to download a 10+ GB file first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that if there is enough bitching and moaning, that maybe they will omit a couple of these controversial decisions come launch day.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I hope so too...But as it looks now the PS4 is going to be my eventual purchase. And this is from someone who owns both a 360 and a PS3 now. I have no bond with either one over the other and I think that each has its positives and negatives. But when it comes to the info that is available at this moment on the PS4 and Xbox1, I feel as if the PS4 with its backwards compatibility, the non-requirement of an online connection, and the ability to share games/buy used games, is the vastly better system at this early stage.

      Delete
    3. E3 will be very telling this year, Im sure a load of information will be provided by Microsoft, and a lot of this anger will be cleared up. Until then though, Im fucking pissed!

      Delete