Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Walking Dead: 400 Days Review


If you read this blog regularly, then you know that Telltale's Walking Dead adventure game became an obsession of mine. I recommend it to everyone I know who games, and I consider it to be proof that the adventure genre is not outdated, it just needs some new ideas. Telltale released 5 episodes in their first season, and on Friday they released 400 Days, a quick introduction to the 5 main characters that the game series will be focusing on in season 2. 


Before I highlight the characters themselves, I want to point out the one single gripe that I have with the series so far. I do not feel like I am rewarded for extra exploration. I search every area I encounter thoroughly, it's just the way I play, and yes, I am treated to some extra story, or information about what Im looking at, but please, please, in season 2, let me actually affect what happens by having an item that I shouldn't normally have, or knowledge I gained by digging through some dumpsters. I am not attacking this game whatsoever, just a suggestion, I love what Telltale is doing, so let's talk about the characters, in the order I played them.


Bonnie
Bonnie is a recovering junkie, traveling with a middle aged married couple, near the gas station/diner that every character in 400 Days has in common. The husband, (Leland I think his name is) is obviously falling for Bonnie, and the wife is on to her. The trio gets attacked in a cornfield by a group of humans, who shoot Bonnie right in the arm as they run away. Frightened, Bonnie hides behind a tractor, pulls a pipe out of the ground, and attacks one of the assailants. It turns out to be the wife that Bonnie hit, who proceeds to bleed out in the middle of the field. Leland discovers this, and as the player I chose to be honest, since it was just an accident. Leland refuses to come with me, so Bonnie runs away alone, leaving Leland behind to get executed by the armed group. Fun. 


Russell
Russell is alone, walking down the highway, talking to himself about getting to his grandmother's house in the nearby city. A truck pulls up alongside him, Russell gets in and meets Nate. Nate is a pervert, and is obviously crazy, but he still manages to get some of Russell's backstory, like the fact that Russ is running away from the overly violent group he was tagging along with. They pull into the gas station and are promptly shot at, leaving Russ and Nate no choice but to run around the diner, and burst inside to kill the shooter. The shooter turns out to be an old man protecting his wounded wife, and Nate decides to execute them and take all of their shit. As the player I decided that this man was a lunatic, and I made Russell run away, hearing two distinct gunshots as I fled.


Shel
Shel and her little sister Becca are in a large group that has set camp in the gas station, (a couple months after Russell and Nate were there.) It is also revealed that this group are the ones responsible for attacking Bonnie and the married couple. Shel is in a moral dilemma as she watches her little sis slowly lose her humanity. When a fellow member is caught stealing supplies, Shel is told by Roman, (who considers himself leader), to execute her. As the player, you get to decide whether to shoot the woman, or jump in the RV and drive away with your sister. I chose the second option, fleeing the scene and saying fuck you to Roman and his unnecessarily cruel solution. Also, it is revealed that this group was responsible for attacking Kenny and stealing his boat in season 1.


Wyatt
Wyatt and his friend Eddie are speeding away from a deadly confrontation, and are being chased by a big truck. (It looks like Nate's truck, but that doesn't get confirmed.) As soon as they lose their pursuer, Eddie hits a cop, one that isn't a zombie, and Wyatt gets out to see if he's okay. The cop is definitely not okay, but still alive, so as the player, I decided to have Wyatt drag the man back to the car. While I am dragging this pig through the mud back to the vehicle, the angry truck returns, and Eddie drives off, leaving Wyatt stranded.


Vince
We meet Vince on a prison bus, just two days into the outbreak. He was convicted of murder, and his two new prison buddies, Danny and Justin, have a pretty long conversation about their respective murders too. The bus stops, and one of the other inmates attacks a fellow prisoner after an argument. One of the two police officers shoots the assailant with his shotgun, and is then promptly bitten by the now zombified prisoner. Vince takes the opportunity to grab the shotgun, and as the player I chose to shoot the ankle cuff off of Danny (blowing his foot apart in the process) so that myself and Justin could get away. Justin was convicted of embezzlement, while Danny for rape, I punished the rapist. Also, the 2nd police officer who bails, is the cop that Eddie hits with his car.

These 5 people somehow form a new group, and are approached by a woman claiming to be a recruiter for a bigger community. Depending on the choices you make, some characters will go with her, and some will stay behind. For me, Vince, Bonnie and Shel decided to go, and Russell and Wyatt decided to stay. I can't wait to find out what consequences that will have.

No comments:

Post a Comment