Tuesday, December 17, 2013

5 Things I like About Dead Space 3

I wasn't being super nice yesterday when I talked about my Dead Space 3 experience, and I am enjoying the game, so I wanted to highlight 5 things that I do really like about DS3, even if I do feel that it's the weakest installment so far.



The N7 Suit

There's actually a few cool new suits in this one, like the First Contact suit that makes me feel like a space rapper, or the Witness suit covered in weird graffiti. But nothing beats the N7 suit that's modeled after Mass Effect's Commander Shepard. The only problem is that unlike 1 and 2, the suits in Dead Space 3 don't have any attributes, so, it really doesn't matter which one you wear, there isn't any stat difference between any of them. In Dead Space 1, you had to upgrade your suit, and when it was fully pimped, it was a very satisfying feeling, but the new N7 suit certainly looks cool.





Scavenger Bots

Searching for spare parts like scrap metal, tungsten ore, gel, and conductors to build your weapons is a new feature introduced in Dead Space 3 that makes me want to vomit, but it's made a little bearable with Scavenger Bots. You walk around with a sensor until it starts beeping and vibrating, then set down the bot, and he will get a bunch of supplies for you! It's always a nice feeling when you find an upgrade bench, and your bots wheel on over to unload their treasure. Now, for 5.00$ you can buy some DLC that increases their effectiveness instead of upgrading them someway in-game, which should be illegal.



Optional Missions

Dead Space has always had secret areas, but Dead Space 3 has secret missions. Little side quests, that you usually have to backtrack a little to accomplish, are the best part about exploring. These optional missions have their own contained stories, which are almost always written better than the main storyline is. Running back to an old abandoned armory to find new guns and kill everything inside is fun, and adds nice little breaks from the nonsensical main plot.


Human Enemies

This is the first game where uninfected humans pose a threat. You'd think I would hate this, because Dead Space 3 is about killing monster aliens, but these guys trying to kill me represent The Church of Unification. Religious fanatics? That means my bullets are individual little atheist protests, and I get to throw the middle finger up at Jesus every time I pull the trigger. Awesome.


The Drill Fight

About mid-way through the game, is a pretty cool Drill Room. The Drill Spins around on the ground, and you must avoid it while using stasis to slow it down. On top of that, Necromorphs drop in, and try to eat you. You have to sprint around the room, dodging the drill and killing aliens, until you do enough damage to the drill's core that it shuts off. The drill also kills the enemies too, making the entire ordeal very bloody, and very hectic.

No comments:

Post a Comment