Monday, December 16, 2013

Dead Space 3: 6 hours in


Dead Space 3 just isn't what I want it to be. I pine for the feeling that the original Dead Space gave me, that dread you feel when you realize that your character is all alone in the middle of outer space on a ship full of zombaliens. Dead Space 3 has none of that, in fact, there are a bunch of NPCs who never shut the fuck up, Issac himself talks as much as a teenager, and the entire game is built around co-op. CO-OP!!! A franchise that was originally advertised as a high-res Metroid experience is now being sold as a roller coaster co-op shooter. The game isn't terrible, it just isn't as good as the very first game, and I'm disappointed. 


Why all the changes? Did Dead Space 2 really do that poorly that Visceral felt the need to change absolutely everything for #3? Enemies drop scrap parts now, that you need to collect to build the guns you need. You don't unlock guns anymore, you build them yourself, and instead of it being a fun loot-fest, it feels like you're being taken advantage of as a player. Why do I need to memorize schematics and get frustrated when I can't find the extra tungsten I need to build a gun that I don't even know if I'll actually use? In Dead Space 1 and 2, you unlock a gun, and it's yours. All you need to worry about is collecting power nodes to upgrade them. Also, Power Nodes don't exist anymore, it's Tungsten Cores now, apparently, the entire universe has had a serious tech upgrade since 2.


I can bitch about the new weapon system or the constant NPC presence all day, but we all know the real problem with Dead Space is it's story. Now, yes, I haven't finished Dead Space 3 yet, so it may be unfair to slam the story, but look at how obviously bad the bad guy is. Look at him, he's introduced as your friend before he betrays you. Shocked?

No comments:

Post a Comment