Friday, December 20, 2013

Elizabeth Warren


I like President Obama, but he isn't my favorite politician. I agree with him on most things, and I believe that he genuinely has a heart, but our disagreements, what we don't see eye to eye on, can get very frustrating sometimes. If I had it my way, Elizabeth Warren would be my president. I have never agreed with a politician more than Warren, and that's including my hero Jimmy Carter. 

It may be a little more subtle than the Republicans' current civil war, but there are opposing sides on the left. Obama and those who stick close to his side, the Centrists, have been at odds lately with newly defined liberal group, the Warrens. Elizabeth Warren's super-progressive ideas caused a lot of us to turn on our president recently when he decided to trim the growth of benefits payments in future years. Those of us who agree with Elizabeth Warren want to see a huge expansion in social security, not a trimming. There are those of us on the left that want the significance of credit scores greatly diminished, Obama has no opinion on that, but Warren just wrote a bill that bans the use of credit applications during the hiring process. One of the big accomplishments of Obama's presidency was Wall Street Reform, and while I wanted a lot more, I applauded that big first step that he made. Elizabeth Warren however, would have dropped a much bigger, much stricter version.

Whenever Massachusetts Senator Warren writes a bill, or speaks, it always has something to do with the following:
-Patience for our youth
-Empathy for the old
-Sympathy for the poor
-Justice for the wronged

I feel that my political life philosophy matches up with Warren's real world plan. Tax paying citizens get taken care of by the country they contributed to when they become elderly, children should not be punished or penalized for the decisions that their parents made, and all of us doing our best to achieve an equal playing field for us all to pursue opportunity from. If you haven't heard Warren speak or know what her philosophy is all about, I urge you to look into it. I feel like a dirty JoHo now, preaching the gospel of someone I like, but hey, sometimes, that's how good politics spread.



No comments:

Post a Comment