Wednesday, September 10, 2014

My New PS4 And The First Few Hours Of Destiny


Amazon promised me that my white PS4 Destiny bundle would arrive the day it was available in stores, and at 9:05am Tuesday morning, there it was. The startlingly pretty box stood out in the middle of my porch like an elegant Prothean beacon. I was just the tiniest bit annoyed that my mail carrier placed a box with a 500$ price tag unguarded right in front of my brown drug dealer neighbors. My Amazon settings clearly state that I would prefer to sign for my packages. I am not trying to be a diva, but I STILL don't have my Dez Bryant jersey because some cokie lifted it off my exposed porch.




The PS2 came out in the winter of 1999, and in Chicago it was near impossible to get your hands on one. Despite the release date being early December and having the money and desire to purchase one, I didn't get my hands on it until the morning of December 31st after waiting in an outdoor Best Buy line for 7 hours. Opening the PS4 yesterday kinda felt the same way. I have waited and waited, patiently and responsibly not spending that significant of an amount of money so soon after Phoebe's birth. That feeling of turning on a Playstation for the first time after waiting for so long, to be delighted in how futuristic it feels is an experience I think only Sony can provide. I missed the millennium because I was on a 24 hour straight PS2 launch game binge, and last night I stayed up until 3am playing Destiny as if I didn't have two kids to take to and from pre-school today. 


Destiny is great. I'm hesitant to start listing any complaints because I'm only at level 4, but so far I don't feel like a part of any community. Not yet. Kotaku has a great list of tips for new Destiny players here, and IGN has a very detailed description of each class here. If you happen to give a shit about my opinion, then I suggest not branching out of the story missions until you hit level 4. Nothing is available you you in those first 3 levels and exploring on your own is a waste of time. You need a ship, decent armor and a little story progression to unlock the different stores and locations. I picked Warlock and went with a look that screams American in a world with no countries. 



No comments:

Post a Comment