Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pokédad's 2013 Game of the Year

I compiled a big fat list of all the games that I played this year, and then shortened the list to 25. I then shortened it again to my 10 favorite 2013 games. I did this last year, Mass Effect 3 won, and I got the most page views ever because of it, so I'm doing it again. Here are my ten favorite games that were released in 2013.



GTA5

Modernized with bits of nostalgia here and there, an insane-in-a-good-way plot, and some of the best video game voice acting that I have ever experienced, GTA5 was really, really good. The online was an incredible letdown though, but the single player was way more than enough.


Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag

I'm very shocked by just how much I love this game. It has absolutely done away with every problem that I had with the series, and gave such an interesting sic-fi twist to it's overarcing plot that I can't put it down. Black Flag is also a lot of fun.


Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Its an artistic adventure of terrain puzzles, Brothers was a beautiful thing to play. The achievements were really clever, and one of the few examples of play being enhanced by them. The story is sweet and like I said in my review of it a few months ago, the giant level is mind blowing.



Batman Arkham Origins

The newest Batman game set before the other Batman games, where you traverse Gotham fighting all of the famous and not so famous villains while upgrading your shit and collecting riddle packs. Whats extra interesting about this installment is the fact that you play a Batman thats new to the job.



Bioshock Infinite

I said it was my favorite installment in the Bioshock series and I stand by that. Also, note that I consider the original Bioshock to be one of the greatest leap forwards that the industry has ever made. It's rare to have so much anticipation, and then not be let down in any way. I really loved Infinite.


State of Decay

Completely out of left field, State of Decay was a 20$ downloadable game that I really stressed over buying. I'm glad I did, because what you get with State of Decay is a genius zombie survival game that is all about resource management, and making good choices. Your characters are average people, who will die if bitten, so you have to be careful, plan ahead, and build a super strong base. State of Decay was a very pleasant surprise.


Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Luigi's Mansion was a Gamecube game that I remember fondly, so I was very excited to play it's sequel. There are things about this title that I didn't like, like timed levels, but I had a lot of fun, and that spider boss was pretty sweet.


Pokémon Y

Every new release into the Pokémon series is a big deal, but X/Y this year felt a little bigger. 3D environments, lots of wifi stuff, X/Y were ambitious and very well executed. I had fun, but it felt routine, and left me wondering if any of us Pokénerds will ever get what we really want.


The Last of Us

I play games for the story first and foremost, which makes The Last of Us feel like it was made just for me. This is video game plot writing at it's finest, progressing a beautiful narrative with every second that ticks by. The Last of Us is scary, very intense at times, and the complete story is a tear jerker. It is the best survival horror game ever made.



The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

If you want Zelda fanboys to cum in their tunics, then making a sequel to A Link to the Past is a great start. The music is nostalgic, the areas themselves are the same, this new Zelda is a fantastic reminder of why the old Zeldas are so fondly remembered. You also get this cool new 2D wall walking power.


I'll pick a winner and let you know, thanks for another year!



No comments:

Post a Comment