Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies


If you read this blog on the regular, then you know that Chris Kluwe is one of my heroes. He wrote a book, and I read it. If you have read any of his famous letters that Deadspin usually posts, then you know that Kluwe has refined cursing into a beautiful art form. He uses his talent for profanity to poke fun at Ayn Rand, bigots, and generally anyone who seems to be lacking in the empathy department. He also makes one of the best arguments for the existence of time travel that I have ever read, and draws a picture of what he thinks the hi-tech future will be. Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies is more wonderful than I had imagined, and Chris Kluwe's world view is something everyone should admire. He talks about politics, but it's about treating people fairly, not about picking a side. He talks a lot about gay rights, and he spectacularly leaves religion out of it. His messages are uplifting, imaginative, and holy fucking shit hilarious.


This book has a chapter titled Aliens, it also has a chapter titled Hey Douchebag. Kluwe covers so many topics that are close to nerd hearts, like futuristic computer goggles and the shame you should feel when you mix up Star Trek and Star Wars. He also has a couple chapters about football, it's idiotic popularity, and what it's like to have Devin Hester return your punts. I watch Rachel Maddow every single weekday, and her book was one of the most anticipated reads that I have ever waited for, but Beautifully Unique Sparkleponies blows it out of the water. This is the best book I've read this year, and I encourage every single person who cares at all about anything that I write about here to give Chris Kluwe's book a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment