Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Deadlight


I don't like Deadlight very much. Maybe it's zombie genre fatigue finally making itself known or the annoying idea that every single zombie related anything must have the word "dead" in it. Maybe it's the comic book style cutscenes or the David Hayter sound-a-like, but I feel like I've played this game a million times before. 


It's a single track side-scrolling platformer just like Limbo or Shadow Complex. What makes Deadlight different than those great modern platformers is that Deadlight has really frustrating jump controls. They feel imprecise, which becomes a problem when the game demands that you make very tough precision jumps. You'll die a lot, but unlike Limbo's super fast restarts, every death in Deadlight is followed by a loading screen. It isn't a super long time, but after failing the same long jump 6 times in a row because you pressed "A" 10 milliseconds too late, it becomes infuriating. I actually screamed in frustration and Oliver came in to check to make sure I was okay.


The darkness that this game uses in every area is cool and very clever at times, but Limbo did it better. Some scenes in Deadlight look like they were blatantly stolen from Limbo screenshots. Take this roof with the water tower on it, look familiar? This game isn't bad, and I will complete it (I paid for the fucking thing after all), it's just a game that will feel very familiar as you play through it. I guess every game can't be unique and groundbreaking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment